From high above to under the ground, our crews work year-round to keep the power on and improve your service. In addition to their day-to-day tasks, our lineworkers are hard at work installing equipment to improve your electric service. Here’s a quick breakdown of just some of the work we’re doing this year.
2021 Improvements By The Numbers
- Inspecting 7,800+ miles of power lines to find and fix issues before they become a problem.
- Proactively replacing 5,700 electric poles that may be damaged due to age, weather or insects.
- Rebuilding 75 miles of electric line throughout our service territory to make sure you have the most reliable service.
- Testing, repairing and replacing more than 500,000 feet of underground cable.
- Adding new smart technology to 130+ circuits that automatically reroutes your power away from problems, like downed power lines.
- Trimming and clearing trees around power lines and equipment on a regular basis to help prevent power outages. To date, our forestry crews have trimmed more than 214,000 trees this year.
This work is part of an ongoing plan to improve reliability across the state that began in 2019. Over the course of the five years (2019-2023), AEP Ohio will install nearly $2 billion in infrastructure improvements.
Learn more and see our crews in action:
These numbers and plans are subject to change barring weather and unforeseen circumstances.