When used properly, space heaters are a great way to stay warm — but they can also pose significant risks and be a fire hazard. Before plugging in your space heater, review the following tips to keep you and your family safe and warm this winter.
- Always place a space heater on a hard, level surface.
- Keep your heater at least three feet away from anything flammable, especially curtains and bedding, and away from people.
- Never leave a space heater running when a room is unoccupied.
- Only plug your space heater directly into a wall outlet. Never use an extension cord or power strip.
- Purchase a space heater with an auto shut-off feature in case the heater tips over.
- Don’t place space heaters in highly trafficked areas where someone may trip over it.
- Make sure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are installed and functioning properly throughout your home.
- Before using any space heater, read the manufacturer’s instructions and warning labels carefully.