We’re continuing to closely monitor the path of the incoming winter weather. Our crews are ready to respond if outages occur. Here’s what you need to know to be prepared.
Before the Storm
- Decide now what you’ll do if there’s an extended power outage. Check with those who are elderly or have medical conditions to ensure they have a plan in place.
- Charge phones, laptops and other electronic devices.
- Prepare an emergency kit with essential items.
Make sure you sign-up now to have outage alerts and updates sent to you in the most convenient way possible:
- Sign-up for text alerts
- Download the AEP Ohio mobile
- Follow AEP Ohio on Facebook and Twitter for updates
Important Safety Reminders
- Remember, all downed lines are dangerous — they carry an electric current that can cause serious or even fatal injuries. Stay away, stay alive. If you encounter a fallen wire, keep yourself and others away, and call 911 and AEP Ohio immediately.
- If you use a portable or RV generator, do not plug the generator into your circuit box. Portable generators “backfeed” electricity up the line and risk the lives of repair workers and the public. Follow the manufacturers’ instructions carefully, and plug essential appliances directly into the generator. Find important details here.
Vehicle accidents are often a cause of power outages, especially with snow and ice covered roads. Stay safe and avoid driving until road conditions are favorable.
Updated: February 15, 2021