Score a Touchdown with These Safety Tips
We love fall because that means one thing, football season is here again! Whether you’re cheering on your favorite professional or collegiate teams, make sure you are kicking off fall the safe way.
Avoid penalties by following these helpful tips with football fans in mind:
- Delay of Game
- Only trained electrical workers should open your meter base that’s attached to your home. If you’re not a trained electrical worker, wait until one arrives to keep the game going!
- You’ll get a holding penalty if you hold a conductive object or tool in close proximity to a live conductor. Never use a conductive object near electrical lines.
- False Start
- Planning landscaping or construction that involves digging? Make sure to call 811 at least 48 hours before you begin work. Electric, gas, water and communication utilities will come to your property and mark equipment that needs to be avoided. A false start could result in severe injury or death, cause power outages and could result in fines.
- Missed Coverage
- Don’t miss a second of the game due to missed coverage! Report outages in a timely manner to AEP Ohio by calling 800-672-2231 or through our mobile app.
- You’re Sidelined
- While power lines may be sidelined or out of action for a day, that doesn’t mean you should go near them to clear brush or trees. Make sure to call 800-672-2231 to report any downed power lines. When power lines are sidelined, remember to stay at least three yards (10 feet) away from them while you wait for AEP Ohio to arrive on site.
We want to keep your power flowing and the game clock running, so keep these rules in mind to avoid penalties.
- Stay at least three yards (10 feet) from downed power lines or anything they may be touching.
- When installing an antenna, be sure to position it six yards away from power lines to ensure there’s no interference.
- If you’re planting a tree, have a game plan before you plant! Be sure that the tree, even at maturity, remains three yards away from power lines. And call 811 before any digging project.
Follow these guidelines and you’ll score a touchdown every time!