Our lineman are highly skilled workers who have spent years of specialized training on high-voltage power lines. They are NOT trained or licensed to work on the customers’ private equipment, inside or outside the property.

If you need help with any electrical work, please contact a properly licensed electrician.

58 responses to “I need electrical work done. Can you do it or do I need to call an electrician?

  1. I have a question on the power line coming into the meter box attached to my house. The thick wire line with weather proof cover that is also anchor to the house and where the three power cable coming from the AEP power line across the street from the pole, which could be about 10 feet from the ground level to the top where it is anchored to the house. That thick wire is through the meter box where the electric power would flow to the main switch board of the house.
    Who is responsible to replace the thick wire when the weather protective cover coming apart and water leaking through the meter box and into the main switch board in the house?
    I want to know if AEP would replace that weathered wire or the home owner to call a certified electrician to replace the thick weathered power cord.
    Thank you.
    Aung Than

  2. Hello!

    I intend to change out the electric service panel inside my residence. The current panel dates back to the original construction of my home in 1960. The panel is at its limit with many circuits powering too many outlets/fixtures. Simply, this is a legacy issue that needs remedied.

    I have a couple of questions for the purpose of proceeding with a panel upgrade:

    1. I intend to install a 200A, 30/60 service panel to replace my original GE pushmatic panel ( original panel to my 1960 built home ). My question is how do I determine the line amperage coming into my home to ensure my new panel is sized correctly?

    2. Once the above is addressed, how does one initiate the process for temporarily removing the meter head to facilitate installation of the new service panel? I am almost certain the meter is the property of AEP and proper permissions and procedures are required for such work.

    1. Hi James! Thanks for writing. So sorry for the delayed response. I’ve passed along your note; expect a response shortly from our customer service representatives to help you out with this. Good luck!

    2. James, here’s a little more info for you. In order to properly upgrade your service at your residence you would need to contact an Electrical Contractor. They are fully educated on the states regulations and requirements for service changes. They are also aware of the procedure to contact us prior to the work being performed. For more information you can visit our website at https://www.aepohio.com/account/service/upgrade/UpgradeHomeService.aspx or contact our Ohio E-Scheduling Group at 1-800-449-3032.

  3. What about moving the buried line from the box to the house? Is this something that AEP needs to do or an electrical contractor.

    1. Hi Phil. Thanks for your question. If you give us a call (or reach out via Facebook or Twitter) a technician will most likely contact you to discuss your options. Good luck!

  4. I have a mobile home with 200 amp service . The meter is attached to a pole with a certified disconnect. I am removing the mobile home and installing a modular home in its place. I have worked with electric both industrial and home for many years
    My question is can I move the power from disconnect to new home. I put old
    In myself

    1. Hi James! Good question and I have been trying to get an answer for you. I’m told that if the modular home is placed on a foundation, the meter can be mounted on the side of the home. It will need to be inspected by the local authority or, if there isn’t one, an electrician can sign a release form for us. If the modular home isn’t placed on a foundation, then the meter can’t be mounted on the side of the home. It must be mounted on a free standing structure. If you’re only disconnecting the load side of the service and keeping the same free-standing structure, you won’t need a new inspection.

  5. Need to change my outside breaker that is attached to the meter outside my home. The fuses keep tripping and it’s very outdated, do I need a permit? and am I able to do it myself or must I hire an electrician? I no I need to contact aep to have one of your technicians come to shut off all power running to my line.

    1. Hi Chris. Good question. You will need a permit to do the work. You can either do the work yourself or hire a qualified electrician. Also: Yes, you’ll need to call in and get a disconnect/reconnect order so we can shut off the power for the work to be done safely. Lastly, if you change the disconnect switch, you’ll need to get an inspection before we reconnect the power. Thanks for asking and good luck!

  6. What do I need do to replace my meter box outside my home.I am a home owner .What is the correct way to replace it.

    1. Hi Belinda. Thanks for writing. To get this properly taken care of you should contact a licensed electrician.

  7. Have old TV and Cable lines hanging in my backyard that I’d like removed as we do not have a landline nor do we have cable. Is this something AEP will do for home owners?

    1. Hello Andrew. You should not attempt to remove these lines yourself as it could put you or your equipment too close to the power lines and at risk for injury. Please contact our customer service team at 800-672-2231.

  8. I’m considering replacing my main service panel. I’m not an electrician, but have done a good bit of electrical work including panel installs. I would like to do this myself. Will AEP require an electrician to do this?

    1. Good question. You will need a permit to do the work. You can either do the work yourself or hire a qualified electrician. Also, you’ll need to call in and get a disconnect/reconnect order so we can shut off the power for the work to be done safely. Lastly, if you change the disconnect switch, you’ll need to get an inspection before we reconnect the power. Thanks for asking and good luck!

    1. We’d recommend getting work done by a licensed electrician. After the work is complete, we can determine whether this is sufficient to have power reconnected and whether an additional inspection is still needed.

  9. Looking to add electric to a 2 car detached garage and I had a few questions. First question is can I tie my garage into my existing electric or would I need a new line of service. Second, would AEP run the service to my garage or would I have to hire an electrician to do the install.

    1. Hi Dusty. Thanks for checking in. We can help but you’ll need a qualified electrician for a full answer. I sent your message to our Customer Service team and someone is going to email you soon to talk it over. Good luck!

  10. I need to replace the old service panel in my house. I need a permit from the county, to request a service interruption from AEP, then do I have to have an electrician actually do the replacement? I’ve done this before but not in Ohio so I’m not sure of the requirements. I’ve heard I might just need it inspected or possibly not if it’s covered by the permit.

    1. Cliff, I think the easiest thing to do here is please give us a call at (800) 672-2231. We’ll be able to talk you through the appropriate requirements. Thank you.

  11. Hi, I am building a wood shop in my detached garage and I need get a panel out there and run power for my shop equipment. My question is, would someone be able to drop a line down from the main lines above so we don’t have to trench our yard yet again to run an underground line? If so, is this something that AEP will do? Thank you!

  12. I need to replace the main breaker in my service panel, do I need AEP to pull the meter and would they remain on the property for the 10 minutes it would take to change the breaker to plug the meter back in?

    1. Hi Chris. If you give us a call at (800) 672-2231 we can walk you through the proper procedure. Thanks for writing.

  13. Hello! Can you tell me more about what AEP requires to have access to new service electric poles? Do you have to have a driveway to access them or is AEP okay with driving through a flat yard?

    Thank you

    1. Hi Megan. Good question. The only thing you need to know is that customers need to keep AEP equipment clear from obstructions and obstacles such as landscaping and structures. There has to be plenty of space to allow our crews to work and so equipment is protected from damage.

    1. I also would like more information about this? I have a property I am putting my camper and I need electric service. I need a pole pit in with in 100ft of the road. Not sure how to go about this customer service didn’t seem to know much.

      Can I get a call?

      1. Hi Aaron. I have sent your question to the customer service rep for your area. Someone will be in touch.

  14. Hi! Would you be able to let me know more with regards to what AEP needs to approach new help electric posts? Do you must have a carport to get to them or is AEP alright with passing through a level yard?

  15. Have a utility pole in my driveway that has a live electrical wire running up it. Do you install/hang street lights? If not how can I get power shut up to hang my own light?

    1. Hi Mike. Please reach out to our customer service team by calling 800-672-2231. They will be able to best assist you with your questions.

    1. Hi Aaron! Good question — unfortunately, there isn’t an easy answer. When a new installation order is placed, an AEP Ohio technician has to visit the site first to assess what’s needed. Costs can more accurately be determined at that time.

  16. I’m deaf myself, I paid $5 something monthly wonder if aep come my house take old wire out and put new wire in house inside and outside also need new breaker please help me thank you god bless merry Christmas

    1. Hi Brandon. AEP Ohio is unable to assist with electrical work inside your home. You will need to contact a qualified electrician to perform this work.

  17. Hello,

    I am thinking about getting a new service on my property but the easiest way from the existing line doesn’t follow my proposed driveway. Does AEP need gravel road access to any poles set or just the one with the transformer?

    Thank you,


    1. Hi Dawn! I don’t believe AEP will need gravel road access but before doing any construction you should confirm with one of our employees to make sure the setup is proper. Please give us a call to (800) 672-2231 to discuss your situation.

    1. Hello Jean. You should have a certified electrician investigate the cause of the problem you are experiencing.

  18. The meter box on the side of a friends house is pulling off of the backer board. They contacted me to see if I could reattach it, as I installed the service boxes (prior to anything being live) when my own new house was built. However, the seal for their box must be removed prior to any work being done. Can I make an appointment for AEP to cut/replace the seal and pull the meter temporairly while it is reattached or is a licensed electrician a requirement in this case?

    1. Hi John. I have passed your note on to our Customer Solutions Center so you should hear from a representative soon. Thanks for alerting us. Have a nice day!

  19. I have a main entrance pole on my home, I’m concerned because it’s bent and needs repaired. I am needing contact information of a certified electrician and the possible process needed to fix this issue… we have a strap tied to the pole to straighten it,which won’t be a good fix for long. Please help!!

    1. Hello Holly, I can’t discern from your message if you’re referring to an AEP Ohio pole that’s bent. It would be best if you called into our customer service center to speak with a representative. They can create a ticket for you to have someone come out and take a look. If an electrician is needed, that person would need to work with us to make sure power is turned off while they do repairs. Our number is 800-672-2231.

  20. Our meter box has been slowly sinking down the house over the years and the weatherproof lines have been exposed and although we’ve temporary fixed them, the wires are leaning on the gutter and were afraid they’ll pull both the gutter spout and the lines down away from the house. Is this AEP’s responsibility or is it ours as the homeowners? Our meter box is one of the older, metal boxes but has been converted to a electronic outerface in the past years.

    1. Hi Rebecca. I have passed along your inquiry and someone should contact you soon. Thanks for letting us know.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.