Meteorologists are predicting high winds Wednesday afternoon into Thanksgiving morning that could threaten our power lines and equipment. Crews are on alert and ready to respond if power outages occur.
We know outages are frustrating, especially during a holiday centered around food and family gatherings. If outages do occur, please know our crews will work to get your power back on as quickly as they safely can. Here are some tips so you and your loved ones are prepared.
Before the storm
- Have a plan in the event of an extended power outage. Check with those who have young children, are elderly or have medical conditions to ensure they also have a plan.
- Charge phones, laptops and other electronic devices.
- Prepare an emergency kit. At a minimum, include non-perishable food, water, a flashlight, batteries, a battery-powered radio, a first aid kit, and necessary medications.
During an outage
- Minimize or eliminate opening your refrigerator or your freezer. (According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, if the doors stay closed, food will stay safe for up to four hours in a refrigerator, 48 hours in a full freezer and 24 hours in a half-full freezer.)
- Make sure your stove and oven are turned off.
- Don’t operate lanterns, heaters or fuel-fired cook stoves without adequate ventilation.
- Turn off lights and appliances to prevent circuit overload when the power is restored.
- If you’re going to run a backup generator, know how to use it safely.
- Download the AEP Ohio mobile app or visit AEPOhio.com/outagemap to report any outages, downed wires and keep up to date on restoration efforts.
- Follow AEP Ohio on Facebook and Twitter to get timely updates.
- Call our Customer Solutions Center at 1-800-672-2231 to report outages or safety hazards.
Important safety reminder
Remember, all downed lines are dangerous. They carry an electric current that can cause serious or even fatal injuries. Stay away to stay alive. If you come upon a fallen wire, keep yourself and others away, and call 911 and AEP Ohio immediately.