September is National Preparedness Month — and while our crews always work hard to keep the power on, it’s important to be prepared for the unexpected.
We’ve been working closely with our local community partners to better serve the unique needs of older adults and their caregivers, especially when it comes to preparing for emergencies and power outages. Now is the perfect time to revisit your own emergency preparedness plan and also connect with the older adults in your life to talk through their needs.
Hear more from our community partners at the Area Agency on Aging and Office on Aging about why it’s especially important for older adults and caregivers to have an emergency plan and kit in place — and how you can begin having these important conversations with your loved ones today.
- In the event you need to temporarily relocate, be sure to grab your essentials, including necessary prescription medications, before you leave your home.
- We always strongly encourage customers with life-supporting medical equipment to have a backup power source and an alternate plan in the event of a power outage.
Emergency Supply Kit Walkthrough
Watch below to see a breakdown of items you’ll want to consider including in your emergency supply kit:
- Non-perishable food a water supply for several days
- First aid kit
- Blanket or sleeping bag
- Hand-crank radio
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Portable cell phone charging bank
- Pet food and supplies if needed
Find Your Community Agency
For local services and support for older adults and caregivers, call 1-866-243-5678 to be connected to the area agency on aging serving your community, or search this online directory provided by the Ohio Department of Aging.
We work hard to keep our customers updated before severe weather hits and during power outages. Get the latest information:
- Update your communication preferences: AEPOhio.com/Account or 1-800-672-2231
- Sign up for text alerts: AEPOhio.com/Alerts
- Visit AEPOhio.com/OutageMap where you can find information about current outages and restoration times and, if activated, information about cooling and heating centers near you
- Follow AEP Ohio on Facebook and X (formerly Twitter)