When used properly, space heaters are a great way to stay warm in a chilly office environment. They can also pose significant risks and be a fire hazard in your workplace. Before plugging in your space heater this season, review the following tips to keep you and your coworkers safe and warm.
- Always place a space heater on a hard, level surface.
- Keep your heater at least three feet away from anything flammable and away from people.
- Never leave a space heater running when a room is unoccupied.
- Only plug your space heater directly into a wall outlet. Never use an extension cord or power strip.
- Inform your coworkers of your space heater and make sure everyone knows how to use it properly.
- Don’t place space heaters under desks or areas with little ventilation.
- Purchase a space heater with an auto shut-off feature in case the heater tips over.
- Don’t place space heaters in highly trafficked areas where someone may trip over it.
- Make sure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are installed and functioning properly throughout your workplace.
- Before using any space heater, read the manufacturer’s instructions and warning labels carefully and check with your company’s policies on space heaters.
We’re committed to keeping you safe. Get more safety tips here and learn about fire prevention from the National Fire Protection Agency.