The holiday season has arrived and with it comes the delicious meals and festive decorations we look forward to year after year. While these traditions bring joy, it’s important to remember that they can also increase the risk of fires and electrical mishaps.
To minimize these risks, we worked closely with our community partner, the Ohio State Fire Marshal, to share important reminders to keep you and your loved ones safe through the holidays:
- Always plug electrical appliances directly into an outlet, not an extension cord or power strip.
- While cooking, stay in the kitchen and remember to check on your food often.
- If a non-grease fire develops, immediately cover the pot or pan to smother the fire, turn off the appliance and call 911.
- If a fire starts in the oven, shut the oven to contain the fire, turn it off and call 911.
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby and never use water to extinguish a grease fire. Download this guide to learn which fire extinguisher you should keep on hand.
- Keep pets and children away from cooking surfaces and nearby countertops.
- Make sure that string lights and other holiday decorations are in good condition. Do not use decorations with broken or frayed electrical cords.
- When decorating outdoors, only use decorations, extension cords and outlets that are designated for outdoor use.
- Never run cords under carpeting, bedding or other flammable materials.
- Check that cords are not pinched or pressed, such as under a couch or between furniture and the wall.
- Never overload your outlets or use extension cords as a replacement for outlets.
- Read more tips from the Ohio State Fire Marshal: Deck the Halls, but Do it Safely.
Fire Safety and Prevention
- Be prepared: develop and practice a home fire escape plan.
- Designate a meeting place outside. Get out and stay out.
- Ensure your home is properly equipped with up-to-date fire extinguishers, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Keep fire safety top of mind, every day.