Vehicle accidents are often a cause of power outages. Take some simple steps that will help you be prepared this winter as you get behind the wheel.
- Maintain your car: check the battery, tire tread, windshield wipers, windows and antifreeze.
- Have on hand: flashlight, jumper cables, abrasive material shovel, ice scraper, flares and and blankets.
- Plan your route: allow plenty of time, be familiar with the directions, and let others know your route.
- Practice cold weather driving: during the daylight, rehearse maneuvers slowly in an empty lot.
- Know what your brakes will do: stomp on antilock brakes, pump on non-antilock brakes.
- Don’t idle excessively: avoid long stretches of time with the windows up or in an enclosed space.
- Stopped or stalled? Stay in your car, don’t overexert yourself, put bright markers on your antenna or windows and shine the dome light.